→ Apply until 18/05/2021 23:59 (Brussels time)
→ Faculty of Sciences
→ Department WE09 - Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics
→ AAP temporary appointment - 100%
→ Number of openings: 1.00
→ Reference number: 202103/WE09/DA/001
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it is actively involved in education and research, management and administration, and technical and social services on a daily basis. It is one of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career opportunities. With each of its 11 faculties and more than 100 departments offering state-of-the-art study programmes that are grounded in research in a wide range of academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its employees as well as its students.
- At least 70% of your assignment will be spent on academic research in line with the research activities of the research group Root Development in the Department Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics.
- You will assist in teaching activities at Bachelor’s and/or Master’s level, more specifically you will help implementing new teaching methods (activated learning) in the following programs: Bachelor and Master of Science in Biochemistry and Biotechnology (majors Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics and Systems Biology), Subsequent Master in Plant Biotechnology, Master of Science in Bioinformatics and Bachelor and Master in Biology.
- You will be involved in reading and evaluating reports of Practicums (Ba1, Ba3 and Ma1), Integrated Practicums (Ba2, Ba3) Bachelor’s projects (Ba3), Master’s projects (Ma1) and Master’s dissertations (Ma2) from students of the Bachelor and Master of Science in Biochemistry and Biotechnology (majors Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics and Systems Biology), Subsequent Master in Plant Biotechnology, Master of Science in Bioinformatics and Bachelor and Master in Biology.
- You will assist in internal and external services of the Department Plant Biotechnology and Bioinformatics.
- You will counsel Master’s students in their exercises, work placement and Master’s dissertation.
- You will counsel doctoral students.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- You hold a doctoral degree preferably in sciences: biotechnology, biochemistry or biology or a doctoral degree in applied biological sciences, or a subject considered relevant by the selection committee. For diplomas awarded outside the European Union, a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You have experience in the research domain of plant developmental biology and with preference experience in the study of growth and development of roots.
- You have distinguished yourself as a promising researcher during your doctorate.
- You are profoundly interested in coaching students in Bachelor’s, Master’s and/or Advanced Master’s programmes.
- You can present relevant scientific publications in (inter)national peer-reviewed academic journals that are widely disseminated.
- You are fluent in written and spoken Dutch and English.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a three-year appointment, which may be renewed once for three years at the most, on condition that the previous term was given a positive evaluation. The term of renewal begins immediately after the first term has expired. Attention: If you have been previously appointed as a post-doctoral assistant at a university within the Flemish Community, you cannot apply for this position.
- Your appointment will start on 1 October 2021 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined according to salary scale AAP5. More information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a wide range of training and education opportunities, 35 days of paid leave, bicycle commuting reimbursement, ecocheques, etc. A complete overview of all our fringe benefits (in Dutch).
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘Cv’: your cv and an overview of your relevant scientific publications (merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format. Describe herein (in English) your previous experience at research/education level and argue how these experiences could fit in with the research activities of the department and the teaching assignments.
- In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union a certificate of equivalence (NARIC) must be submitted. (This can be requested via www.naricvlaanderen.be/en).
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Tom Beeckman (Tom.Beeckman@UGent.be, +32 09/331 38 30).
Do you have a question? Please read our FAQ regarding the online application process.