We are Austria’s largest research and technology organisation and an international player in applied research for innovative infrastructure solutions. This makes us a powerful development partner for industry and a top employer in the scientific community. Our Center for Vision, Automation & Control in Vienna invites applications for a:
PhD thesis “Semantic task planning for utility machines using advanced AI”
Cooperation with the TUFTS School of Engineering, Boston, USA
- We are constantly looking for talented, innovative people, who want to develop "out-of-the-box" solutions for real-world problems. Now you have the opportunity to join our AIT-PhD community, with more than 200 international students. Let’s make ideas work – With you?
- As part of our PhD program, you can opt in to start a PhD thesis by either enrolling for an Austrian university, or, you can benefit from an exceptional opportunity and apply for a PhD program at the TUFTS School of Engineering in Boston, USA (Tuition fees are fully covered).
- How does this work?
- In order to enroll for the PhD program in the USA, you must first undergo an admission process at the TUFTS School of Engineering.
- Your PhD studies, incl. exams will take place remotely. In the meantime, you work on your research project directly with our team at AIT in Vienna.
- You will be supervised (remotely) by Prof. Matthias Scheutz, Director of the Human-Robot Interaction Lab from the Tufts School of Engineering and by scientists and engineers of the Center for Vision, Automation & Control and you will interact with experts in the industrial forestry and machinery domain.
- The goal of this PhD thesis is to explore automated task planning with the aim of robust prototype implementation on a utility machine. To systematically tackle these challenges, a semantic based description of the environment representation and the tasks will be developed in cooperation with experts for environment detection and control theory – you will work directly with our research teams “Complex Dynamical Systems” and “Assistive & Autonomous Systems”.
- As part of a multidisciplinary team you will focus your research on task and motion planning, machine learning concepts and robust real-world implementation.
- Together with our team, you will design and train advanced AI-methods for hierarchical task planning, task transitions and adaptive learning.
- You will implement and validate the methods on real-world utility machines.
- You will develop an AI system that can learn from and cooperate with an experienced human worker which will constitute a major milestone towards autonomous operation.
- You have the chance to obtain a PhD degree from one of the most prestigious engineering schools worldwide.
- You also have the opportunity (not compulsory) to travel to the United States (up to 3 weeks / year) and exchange views with international experts from the Computer Science and AI field.
- You will gain experience in a group of international scientists and build up your professional network.
- You will publish your research results at conferences and in international journals.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Partner*:
- Master studies in the field of electrical engineering, mechatronics, physics, computer science or similar
- Good programming skills in C++, Python, Matlab or other languages
- Experience with machine learning applications (e.g. PyTorch, Tensorflow), motion planning (e.g. A*, RRT) and nonlinear control theory would be an advantage
- Interested in reading and writing scientific publications and enjoy application-oriented questions from industry
- High level of commitment and team spirit
- Excellent knowledge of verbal and written English
What to expect:
EUR 41.601 gross per year. There will be additional company benefits. You will be part of our international AIT PhD community and participate in our AIT PhD framework program. As a research institution, we are familiar with the supervision and execution of PhD theses and we are looking forward to supporting you accordingly!
At AIT, the promotion of women is important to us - that's why we are especially looking forward to applications from female students!
Please submit your application documents including CV, motivational letter and certificates online.
TOMORROW TODAY - WITH YOU?
Please submit your application documents including CV, motivational letter and certificates via https://jobs.ait.ac.at/Job/147924