We are Austria’s largest research and technology organisation and an international player in applied research for innovative infrastructure solutions. This makes us a powerful development partner for industry and a top employer in the scientific community. Our Center for Vision, Automation & Control in Vienna invites applications for a:
PhD Thesis “Enhanced flexibility and robustness of autonomous systems through human - machine interaction”
- Assistive & Autonomous Systems -
- We are constantly looking for talented, innovative people, who want to develop "out-of-the-box" solutions for real-world problems. Now you have the opportunity to join our AIT-PhD community, with more than 200 international students. Let’s make ideas work – With you?
- As part of our PhD program, you can opt in to start a PhD thesis by either enrolling for an Austrian university, or, you can benefit from an exceptional opportunity and apply for a PhD program at the TUFTS School of Engineering in Boston, USA (Tuition fees are fully covered).
- How does this work?
- In order to enroll for the PhD program in the USA, you must first undergo an admission process at the TUFTS School of Engineering.
- Your PhD studies, incl. exams will take place remotely. In the meantime, you work on your research project directly with our team at AIT in Vienna.
- You will be supervised (remotely) by Prof. Matthias Scheutz, Director of the Human-Robot Interaction Lab from the Tufts School of Engineering and by scientists and engineers of the Center for Vision, Automation & Control and you will interact with experts in the industrial forestry and machinery domain (for e.g. construction, logistics, agriculture, forestry domain etc.).
- You are part of a multidisciplinary team working at the cutting edge of technologies for autonomous systems including environment perception, navigation, control and testing.
- You will work closely with experts in the fields of sensor data analysis, computer vision, and machine learning.
- The goal of this PhD project is to investigate how to increase awareness of the system about its own state and how to leverage human interaction with the system to enhance flexibility and robustness and strengthen human-machine collaboration.
- Possible research avenues are selection and fusion of distinct sensor modalities, adaption of perception algorithms, “anomaly detection” implying self-discovery of failure modes using model- and data-driven approaches such as machine learning.
- You will publish your research results at conferences and in international journals.
- Under the guidance of engineers from our center, you will demonstrate the results by means of (semi-)automated machines.
- You have the chance to obtain a PhD degree from one of the most prestigious engineering schools worldwide.
- You also have the opportunity (not compulsory) to travel to the United States (up to 3 weeks / year) and exchange views with international experts from the Computer Science, AI and HMI field.
- You will accumulate experience in a research field, that has an enormous range of applications from construction, aviation and rail to agriculture, robotics and special purpose machinery.
- You will gain experience in a group of international scientists and build up your professional network.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Partner*:
- Master studies in the field of computer science, electrical engineering, mechatronics, mathematics, physics or similar
- Good programming skills in C++, Cuda, Python, Matlab or other languages
- Experience with machine learning applications (e.g. PyTorch, Tensorflow) and image-processing (e.g. stereo matching, light field, OpenCV) would be an advantage.
- Interested in reading and writing scientific publications and enjoy application-oriented questions from industry
- High level of commitment and team spirit
- Excellent knowledge of verbal and written English is mandatory
What to expect:
EUR 41.601 gross per year. There will be additional company benefits. You will be part of our international AIT PhD community and participate in our AIT PhD framework program. As a research institution, we are familiar with the supervision and execution of PhD theses and we are looking forward to supporting you accordingly!
At AIT, the promotion of women is important to us - that's why we are especially looking forward to applications from female students!
Please submit your application documents including CV, motivational letter and certificates online.
TOMORROW TODAY - WITH YOU?
Please submit your application documents including CV, motivational letter and certificates via https://jobs.ait.ac.at/Job/145549