We are Austria’s largest research and technology organisation and an international player in applied research for innovative infrastructure solutions. This makes us a powerful development partner for industry and a top employer in the scientific community. Our Center for Energy in Vienna invites applications for a:
PhD Thesis "Urban climate simulation: Comparative analysis of climate simulation models for the evaluation of climate change impacts and adaptation measures on different spatial scales of urban areas”
- In our Competence Unit "Digital Resilient Cities", you will be part of a multidisciplinary team focusing on the development of new approaches and solutions for smart cities around the world.
- Within this research project you will make a significant contribution to the analysis and use of various simulation models of urban climate and microclimate.
- In this context you will deepen your knowledge in urban climate simulation models (from micro- to mesoscale), which are applied for selected case studies with different scales and degrees of generalization.
- Together with our multi-disciplinary team, you will work on the analysis, comparison and documentation of the advantages and disadvantages, suitability, inadequacy and uncertainties of the selected models for urban climate simulation addressing the respective spatial and temporal scales (urban/regional interaction to neighbourhood-specific).
- You will apply the selected models for two Austrian cities conducting urban - to neighbourhood scale analyses for these cities.
- You will develop an assessment concept & test environment for the comparison of cross-scale climate simulation models and you will contribute to the selection, development or redesign of meaningful indicators.
- You will develop scripts and, if necessary, change the program code for these models for automated processing of the input data, results’ analysis (impact, uncertainty) and their visualization. (This process will be supported by using data and programs provided from ongoing projects)
- You will increase your knowledge about climate change and its adaptation in urban environments. The goal is to develop an appropriate modelling framework for rapid assessment (medium-term) and multiscale urban modelling, to apply and, eventually, to further develop it (long-term).
- You will present your research results at conferences and in international journals.
- You will gain experience in a group of international scientists and build up your professional network.
Your qualifications as an Ingenious Partner*:
- Completed studies in meteorology, (climate) geography, geoinformation or spatial planning, with a focus on urban climate and/or the use of climate simulation models.
- Theoretical knowledge and first practical experience with regional and/or microclimate simulation models and the use of geoinformation systems
- Ideally, knowledge about spatial structure and dynamics of Austrian and Central European cities.
- Practical experience in programming or script creation (e.g. Fortran, Python, R)
- Willingness and strong interest in learning new software systems
- Proof of previous scientific or practical activities related to climate phenomena
- Very good German and English language skills in word & writing
What you can expect:
EUR 2.205,60 gross per month for 30 hours/week based on the collective agreement. There will be additional company benefits! As a research institution, we are familiar with the supervision and execution of PhD theses and we are looking forward to supporting you accordingly.
At AIT, the promotion of women is important to us - that's why we are especially looking forward to applications from ambitious female candidates.
TOMORROW TODAY - WITH YOU?
Please submit your application documents including your CV, cover letter and certificates online, at: